– You got the nice view. I know you be coming out here just standing like, “Aah.” – Like Tony Montana style.
– This is what a…. This is what a king feel like. – You finally made it baby! – I feel like if you could
drop in from the pyramid…. – Yeah.
– … that’s an accomplishment. – If I don’t get this,
I’m spending the night. Forever. – It’s my favorite room in the house. – Come here. Oh! Oh! I’m a little nervous. I don’t want to break him. – “Houseguest.” We out here. – What’s up, guys? It’s your boy, Nate Rob in the building. We’re in Malibu, California. I had to pull up on my boy DJ and see what’s cracking. I heard that you been
changing your diet, man. That’s pretty good, man. You went vegan. I’m here to learn because I’m trying to do the same thing. – Yo! What’s up, man?
– What’s up, my guy? How you doing?
– What’s going on, man? – So, what’s up, D-man? You got this beautiful
home out here in Malibu. How’d you pick this location? – Man, well when I first got to L.A. I was super young. I was 19. So I wanted to live close
by the practice site. Then I just kind of got
further and further out. I love the beach.
– Yeah. – So I knew I wanted to be somewhere close by the beach, and this is just so quiet
and peaceful out here. – And this beautiful home…. Did you decorate this? Or did you have somebody
design, or come in and…? Or did you really got drip? An eye for this type of stuff? – I totally decorated everything. – Oh, you lie! Lies, all lies. I’m not believing you. I’m not believing you.
– No, I got…. I probably have like about 27%. – Twenty-seven percent of it. – I know what I like when I see it. If I don’t like it….
– Yeah. – … then we switch it up. – Let’s talk about this plant diet, man. How do you just jump into the vegan life? – A couple of summers
ago, I went pescatarian. I only did fish throughout the summer. And the summer after
that, I did vegetarian. And then I did vegetarian again. I was talking to my trainer and I was like, “I think I want to be, you know … try to be plant-based, try to go vegan.” He was like, “No, bad idea.” You know? – He’s shutting it down early?
– Cut it off early. “No, bad idea.” You know, I took a couple of blood tests, and I actually tried it and it was cool, so I stuck with it. And I’ve been doing it for a year now, and just being more conscious
about what I put in my body. We don’t think about
that when we’re young, but once we get a little
bit older it’s kind of like, “All right, well….” You know, you think longevity and, you know, once you start having kids it’s different. – Can you tell me about your little garden that you’ve got? – You know, we’re doing
the plant-based diet, so we wanted to kind of create
something that we can have and eat throughout the year. I had some supplies, but
I didn’t have everything. Like I didn’t have …
I didn’t get gloves. So I was out there just
diggin’ through dirt. – You got the nice view. I know you be coming out here just standing like, “Aah.” This is what a king….
– Like Tony Montana style. – This is what a king feel like. – So what about this pool, man? Besides doing cannon balls
when you come outside and jump, what’s it to you?
– Oh, for sure, cannon balls. We just enjoying the pool, doing some swim workouts in there. You get the cardio, working all your muscles in your body. – I might as well just pay you for a gym membership at your crib. I’mma come in here, work out in the pool, get a nice little view of the ocean. Look at this, you guys. Come on, now. This is fire, bro. – Man, I appreciate it. – This is fire, man. – Love coming out here. – Talk to me about your garden. This is pretty cool, bro.
– Man, this is…. This is very recent, but we got a lot of stuff. We got some herbs over here, we got all the vegetables over here. – Yep. I see you got some spinach, kale, cabbage.
– Yeah, that’s some spinach, carrots. – Nice. Do you have a least favorite vegetable? – I’m not really a beets guy, man. It’s in here for the smoothies.
– Just put it in smoothies, right.
– We got it for the smoothies. And tomatoes are my least favorite, that’s why they’re not in here. – That’s not in here, – No.
– So, so what about, you know, we black, we
like collard greens. You ain’t got no collard greens? – I was waiting, I got the seeds for you to
plant the collard greens. – O.K., cool. I definitely gotta help
you plant something. So then the next time….
– Well, yeah. – So then the next time I can watch and then come back and then, bam.
– You watch it grow. – You feel me?
– For sure, I’m ready. – Since you’ve been on
the plant-based diet, you have been knocking
down your free throws. So let’s talk about that…. – Oh, s***.
– … right now because we…. It was pretty cool to actually see you, you know, when you get fouled, now you’re comfortable going to the line….
– Yeah. – … and knocking down. Ain’t no more taking you out the game like what you used to do.
– Right. – I know that used to bother you. – Yeah, that was frustrating me. That was frustrating, right on. It’s a…. I can give it a little
bit to the plant-based, but I mean, just…. I was working my ass off last summer, man. I did not want that to be another year where I was missing
minutes in the fourth quarter, or not comfortable going to the line. So, for me, I was just…. Started to talk to my
teammates for a little bit and it kinda took me out of that space…. – Right. – … of sitting up there being nervous and thinking about it for a long time. But now I’m comfortable. I’m ready to go to the line, so it’s…. It’s cool, man. I’m cool with it. Yeah.
– That’s what’s up. So tell me, man, what is it like sharing
the same last name as the best basketball player to
ever lace up some sneaks? When you was a kid, like, were you picking his numbers? Like, for me, it would be something…. – For me, I was like, “I should
be able to dunk right now.” Just off the strength
of me being a Jordan, “I should be able to just take off from the free-throw line.” But that wasn’t the case. Everybody’s not blessed with
hops like Nate Robinson. You know what I mean? So we all can’t win dunk contests and, you know, jump over 7′ 2” guys. We all can’t do that. We’re not blessed to do that. – Did you ever want to be
in the dunk contest with…? – I did it one year. I did it one year. And it was my first time
I made the All-Star Game. If I won, I would have
had my trophy right here, ready for you. – Just so you can see it?
– Yeah, just so you can see it like….
– Word. – Nah, man. But it’s a…. the All-Star Game, the dunk contest, all of that was super cool. I had a good time. – But who was the first
person you dunked on when you got to the league? What’s his name? Give him a shout-out.
– Nah, I can’t do my guy like that. – I want to know the name of the person that you dunked on, your first dunk-on. – It was a older gentleman. He was number 42. He played for an East Coast team. It was my rookie year, Eric Gordon dropped me off a pass. – And you just, “Hi-yah!” You finished it.
– I finished it. I’m getting chills just
thinking about that. It was…. – So who was the first
person that dunked on you? Since you don’t want to give the names, who was the first person
that dunked on you? – Trying to think, because I got dunked on twice. – In one game? – No, no, in the league. One of ’em was a guy by
the name of J.J. Hickson. He played for Portland for a little bit.
– Yeah, I remember J.J. He played in Denver with me. – Yeah, Denver for a minute. J.J. got me. And then Thabo Sefolosha, got me in the playoffs.
– I was going to say, “Damn, somebody that you
would never think of.” You know who dunked on me?
– Yeah. – For my first dunk-on? I got dunked on by Varejao. – For real? – Man, I was hot, too. I was so mad.
– Yeah, I know you was hot ’cause it’s like, “Man….” – I was so mad because I
was like, “Bro, how did I let somebody with curly hair, from another place, that don’t even probably speak English, just dunk on me like that?” I was hot, and I was mad too. My teammates were giving me s*** for it for a long time. – That’s tough.
– Yeah. – But everybody get dunked on. Like if you’ve been in the league for a long enough time, like….
– You do, but there are certain people that you’re O.K. with getting dunked on. Like Vince Carter.
– Yeah. – O.K., he’s supposed to dunk on me. Not Varejao.
– And if it’s not it kinda scar you a little bit. – Yeah, not Varejao. – It kinda scar you a little bit, man. Then it’s like, “I’m getting somebody.” – Yeah. See, after that I was like….
– “If I’m not getting him, I’m getting somebody.” “But I gotta get somebody.” – Right. Let’s cross over to this fashion, because I know you be dripped out. What’s the thought process behind picking out the right fit for the right game? – I know for you, you saw the transition and the change from being…. – Baggy suits? – Oh my God, like…. – From the baggy suits. – I wore it. I was 19 my rookie year, I wore 6-X Polos and like….
– Tall T’s. – … big jeans, and it was to the point where you
could only see half my shoe. And I wear a 17. I’m like, “This is where we’re at right now.” – That’s where swag was back then. – Then I’m like, “All right, well … hey, I probably should just
give these dresses away to somebody.” – Now you slim. – Now I’m super slim. I’m Euro out here. – Yeah, Euro out here.
– But I’m a big hat guy. I love the fedora, cowboy hats, kinda. That’s my thing. I love that. – Well again, man, you know, thanks for having me. I don’t know if you got
any questions for me if you want to ask? – I want to know when you…. I know you talking about the
plant-based lifestyle, man, you want to try it out. But when is this gonna be set in stone? When we doing this? – For me it’s just…. I’m from the hood, bro, I love chicken, bro. I grew up on chicken.
– Oh, yeah. – How do I give up something that my Momma would prepare for me and it made me happy, and it made me like….
– Yeah. – It’s just tough, so, I gotta give the chickens away, bring in the plants so I can live to be like 150. You know, I don’t wanna get too hungry where I eat my damn fingers off. – Mental, bro, it’s mental
– You see me like I’m sitting here eating salads and that’s when I just…. I don’t want to eat my finger….
– That may happen….
– … like a Tootsie Roll. – … the first month. – But you get used to that. – Well man, next time, man, I hope we can have a grass shot. – Oh yeah, we ready. – We can have a grass shot on me, brother, on me.
– All right. – You know what I’m saying? On me.
– Yes. – Thank you for having me
out to your beautiful home. – Man, I’m glad you came out, man. Anytime.
– Yeah. – You’re welcome anytime.
– Anytime. Yeah, well good luck….
– Anytime. – …in the second half of the
season, bro. – Thank you so much. – Big fan. Been a fan for years, bro. – Appreciate it. Yes, sir
– Keep killing it.